The Eugene Curnow Trail Marathon is run over rough woodland trails on a point-to-point course from the Spirit Mt. Ski Area near Duluth, MN to Carlton. The course encompasses one leg of the Minnesota Voyageur Trail Ultramarathon, plus a bit extra to equal 26.2 miles. Initially, it was developed as support for the Voyageur 50 Mile; offered as a thank you to Voyageur volunteers and an introduction to the course for those not ready for a full fifty miles. It has become a wildly popular race in its own right.
Formerly known as the Half-Voyageur Trail Marathon, the race was renamed in 2013 in honor of its irrepressible founder – area trail and ultramarathon running legend, Eugene Curnow. Gene’s energy, enthusiasm and volunteer spirit played a significant role in the success and growth of the Minnesota Voyageur, the sport of trail and ultra-running, and the northland running community.
The Eugene Curnow Trail Marathon is proudly managed by the Northern Minnesota Track Club (NMTC). For more information, see our web site at: nmtc.run
Our permits are in and race dates will be July 10 for Curnow and July 24 for Voyageur, our usual weekends.
Registration will open on Monday, June 14th at 9:00 AM CST.
Here are some important changes you’ll want to know, applicable to both races:
- The race cap for both races this year is 250 each.
- There will be no waitlist.
- There will be fewer aid stations this year – at Forbay, Peterson’s, Becks, Zoo.
- Be prepared to be self sufficient this year.
- There will be no crew of any kind allowed for either race.
- Drop bags will be allowed at select aid stations, Peterson’s and the Zoo.
- Aid stations themselves will be minimal – potentially with only water and Sqwincher.
- Depending on permits, there is the possibility of a few options of pre-portioned/wrapped food as well but don’t count on that for now.
- While we are preparing for a mass start, changing conditions or permitting could still push us to a wave format.
- A question during registration will inquire what wave you would prefer in that case. Please don’t all sign up for the first wave. :-)
- Number pickup on race morning only.
- No post-race food or showers.
For ongoing updates, please continue to monitor our Facebook page and here on the website.
It’s never too early to start thinking about the Eugene Curnow Trail Marathon, even if you are not lacing up the trail shoes in mid-July. The Eugene Curnow Trail Marathon and the Minnesota Voyageur Trail Ultra are always in need of dedicated people who are willing to give up a few hours of their time.
Stop on in to our Volunteering area for more details, or drop us a line on our Contact Us page! There are many ways to help out – we’d love to have you on the team!
Keep in mind, volunteering at the Eugene Curnow Trail Marathon gets you a discounted entry to the Minnesota Voyageur, and vice versa. Come on out and see the races from both sides of the aid station table!
The Curnow Marathon and Voyageur 50 mile races are cup-free races! This means that we will not have paper cups at aid stations – runners will need to carry their own collapsible cups with them for pop/electrolyte/etc. at aid stations. There are lots of great options out there!
Hello, trail community! As you may be aware, there have been some recent dramatic looking changes to the Powerlines. NMTC has been working with the City of Duluth regarding the MN Power remediation that is occurring. The City of Duluth and NMTC do have plans to re-evaluate a trail corridor together once the remediation process has been completed but in the meantime, all trail users are asked to refrain from using the former trails through the Powerlines. Please be patient as it could potentially take a few years for the Powerlines to be fully healed and ready to go.
We ask that all trail runners respect this temporary closure while the remediation takes place and that you pass the word along. Continuing to use these closed trails will reflect poorly on the trail running community as a whole and may jeopardize our ability to return to them.
What does this mean in the interim?
The race courses for the Eugene Curnow Trail Marathon and the Minnesota Voyageur Trail Ultra will be altered to accommodate this change.